How do I set my Default Printer?
Setting your default printer can eliminate the step of needing to choose your printer each time you want to print something.
- To set your default printer, go to Start Menu > Settings > Printers and Faxes.
- Locate the printer that you want to be your default, right-click on it, and choose “Set as Default Printer.”
How can I turn a document into a PDF?
Any file that can be printed can be made into a PDF. Unlike other document types, PDFs are “printed” instead of being saved.
- To create a PDF from a document, just act as if you are going to print it.
- Instead of choosing a physical printer, however, choose either Adobe PDF or PDF printer (depending on which is installed on your computer).
- When you click Print, you should be prompted to save the file. Give it a name and choose the location and save it, and you should now have your PDF.
VPUL Student Computing Spaces: Printing – Overview
Uniprint is now in use in all VPUL Computing Labs. In order to print, you must have money (PennCash) on your PennCard (see below). You cannot pay for printouts with cash. You must use your PennCard.
The cost is $.07 per page for black and white single-sided printing, and $.05 per page ($.10 per sheet) for double-sided black and white printing.
For color, the cost is $0.32 per page.
In order to print from your computer, you will need to download and install the appropriate package.
|Location||Black & White Installer||Color Installer||Duplex Installer|
|Graduate Student Center||Windows (x86)||Windows (x86)|
|Houston Hall||Windows (x86)
|Windows (x86, B&W Only)
Windows (x64, B&W Only)
|Weingarten Learning Resources Center||Windows (x86)
- Click on ‘File’, then select ‘Print…’.
- Select the lab printer in the ‘Select Printer’ list.
- At this time, make any adjustments you wish to your printing job (Number of copies, Portrait, Landscape, etc), then click the ‘Print’ button.
- A screen will popup and ask you to enter your username. Make sure you are sending the print job to the correct lab. Click Next.
- Enter a name for your job and a password to release it. Please do not use your Pennkey password. Click Print.
- Go to the Release Station in the lab and swipe your PennCard.
- You’ll then see a list of your print jobs on queue. Click on your print jobs, then press the Print button. Your print jobs will be printed momentarily. Your PennCard will be debited the appropriate amount. (If you decide you no longer want to print a certain print job, you may press the Delete button on the screen to clear the job from the queue without being charged) Be sure to press the Logoff button when you are finished.
If you realize that you’ve made an error in printing (printed to the wrong printer; printed out something with typo’s still in it) and it is still in the print queue (meaning that it hasn’t actually been printed), you can delete it from the print queue at the Release Station. Simply swipe your card, select the job you want deleted, and hit the delete button.
If you send something to the print queue then leave the lab without visiting the Release Station, the print job will be deleted from the print queue after fifteen minutes. If the printer malfunctions during your printing (jams, runs out of paper), your print job will still be in the printer’s queue and should be pick up just fine where it left off, once the malfunction is addressed by a technician. If, however, there’s a problem with your print job (missing pages, wrinkled pages, poor ink quality, etc), due to a technical issue with the printer, you’ll be eligible for a free re-print. See “Refunds” below.
If you’ve printed something that has typo’s in it, and it has gone through the printer, your card will be charged and there will be no refund. Please proofread before you print. (NOTE: When printing e-mails or from the internet, oftentimes the last page only contains a few lines of information and is not needed. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THIS SHEET IF YOU PRINT IT. If you do not want it printed, you must select Print Preview BEFORE you print to see how the printout will look, then instead of printing ALL of your pages, select to print only the pages you need).
There are two ways you can add money to your PennCard.
- Use any of the Value Transfer Stations on campus where you can add money to your PennCard. For the listing, please visit http://cms.business-services.upenn.edu/penncard/about-penncash/manage-account.html
- Go online and add money from your credit card, or transfer it from your bursar account. Simply visit http://www.upenn.edu/penncard/cash/online.html and choose the either the “Logon to your Account” link or the “Making a Deposit” link. (NOTE: Credit card transfers are not instantaneous. Please allow a few minutes for the transfer to process).
Refunds will only be given for printer malfunctions; we will not give refunds due to user error. If you’ve sent a print job to the printer in the lab, but nothing printed out, or the printer malfunctioned, or did not produce an accurate print, please contact the VPULTS Help Desk at 3-TECH (215-573-8324) and speak of one of our friendly Help Desk Technicians. They will be able to assist you with your print job errors, provide you with a re-print of your document, or in a case where you would want to submit a request for refund, the amount you lost will be credited back to your PennCash account within 7-10 days.
You may also submit a ticket to request a refund below.